Value stream mapping (VSM) is a lean-management process for creating the current state and identifying a future state for the series of events that take a product or service from its supplier to the customer. It is known as material and information flow mapping.
Current state VSM provides the current status of the manufacturing operations and it becomes a benchmark for future state VSM.
The steps for drawing current state VSM are:
- Start with customer side- Start drawing current state VSM from extreme downstream and move in reverse to extreme upstream operations.
- Note the different processes in the process box
- Collect information from each processing step such as Cycle Time, Value Adding Time, Lead Time, Change Over Time, Number of Operators, Uptime etc.
- Collect the details of Inventory held up between processes
- Collect the supplier details
- Note the Information flow between various departments of the organisation.